有没有哪位大佬帮忙看看我理解得对不对

朗文词典对offset这个单词的一个解释是:to make something look better by being close to it and different 衬托出
我起初觉得different和being close to it是在一块的,但读不通,看了一会又觉得这句话主干应该是to make something look better and different,by being close to it是用来修饰make something look better的,这样的话就读通了,但是拿不准,不知道我这样理解到底对不对?
顺便吐槽一下,感觉朗文有不少释义都怪怪的,没有牛津词典好理解。

我又感觉different是跟being close to it是一起的,by being close to it和(by) different

1 个赞

close to it and different在一起理解,by being+

1 个赞

谢谢!你这么一说感觉我好菜啊 :melting_face:

This definition of ‘offset’ isn’t found in other dictionaries like lexico or mwu. It’s noted though that ‘set off’ as a phrasal verb means ‘to serve as decorative embellishment to’ by lexico.

1 个赞

Indeed, this definition is “unique”, in my terms, sometimes, both the definition and formulation of definition of longman dictionary are queer.

The definition of this one is definitely quite confusing to me.

Not really. Check out “set off” and you’ll find it in lots and lots of dictionaries.

You misunderstand what I have said, “unique” refers to “offset”

“better by being close to it and different“

i would have expected the phrasing to be “close to it yet different”

2 个赞

I know. But they mean the same thing.

no, it’s not the same thing, “offset” is not “set off”, when we talk about “offset”, the meaning that ‘to make something look better by being close to it and different’ is rare, we can’t find this definition in any other dictionaries, such as Oxford, Collins, Merriam-Webster, Cambridge, Dictionary.com

1.PNG

1 个赞

so what?In the first picture, “juxtapose” means contrast, compare, etc. not something like “backdrop”.You only have one example and I can’t understand why you said “set off” at first, many dictionaries tend to explain one word by using another word, such as numerous, it means “many” in longman dictionary, so numerous and many are the same word?I can’t understand your thought.

I say it’s unique、queer、rare in preference to only, there is difference among them.

What’s the paper dictionary?

1 个赞

Interesting! If you could go back to the comment you made two posts above, you’d find wording like “we can’t find this definition in any other dictionaries”, which amounts to saying your citation is the only one, doesn’t it? I do believe my citations however prove you wrong.

1 个赞

Waverley Pictorial Dictionary

2 个赞

你这不是抬杠吗?我一开始说offset的这个释义罕见,你非来说不罕见,还拿set off说事,我真是醉了。现在又拿我后来一段话的漏洞说事,我更是无语。而即便如此,你的论点又能站得住脚吗?我的主要观点是这个释义罕见,而不是什么这个释义到底能不能在朗文外的其他词典里面查到。言尽于此。

Just for fun: