足本英语词典对于“There you go"的释义比较

缘由:tempertemper大牛回复了一句there you go. 没接触过此短语。想搜索下词典,看看母语词典如何解释的,比较结果显示不能迷信OED、ODE,解释有些模糊,而MW online dictionary、Chambers释义精确。

根据维基百科,en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/comparison_of_english_dictionaries列出了以下词典
AHD 5th 2011 American
The Chambers Dictionary 13th 2014
Collins English Dictionary 13th 2018 IPA
COED 12th 2011 IPA
The Merriam-Webster Dcitionary 18th 2016 American
NOAD 3rd 2010 American
ODE 3rd 2010 IPA
OED 2nd 1989 IPA
Random House Webster’s 2nd 2002 American
SOED 6th 2007 IPA
Webster’s Third New International Dictionary (w3) 3rd 2002 American
手头没有COED及w3.

搜索There you go/are,
NOAD
this is what you wanted
expressing confirmation, triumph, or resignation
MW Dictionary Online
used to tell someone that one is giving what he or she was asked for
used to indicate that something is completed or done in a satisfactory way

Collins English Dictionary
an expression used when handing a person something requested or desired
an exclamation of triumph
Chambers Dictionary
Used to express triumph when something one predicted would occur does occur, or resignation over something that cannot be changed
Used to accompany the action of handing something expected or requested to someone
OED
expressing or drawing attention to the simplicity or ready consummation of a process or action; = There it is for you, there you have it, the thing is done
What did I tell you?
expressing resignation to an unpleasant fact
ODE
This is what you wanted
Used to express confirmation, triumph, or resignation

英式英语词典的释义中,OED直白,释义出现了四个问句,与ODE相比释义不全。Collins则增加了一项更精确的释义,替代了ODE的this is what you wanted。反观Chambers,释义比Collins更深一些。综合起来的释义,个人感觉应该是:
Used to accompany the action of handing something expected or requested to someone
Used to express triumph when something one predicted would occur does occur, or resignation over something that cannot be changed;Used to express confirmation
删除Used to accompany the action of handing something expected or requested to someone

美语的释义个人感觉比较好的是:
used to indicate that something is completed or done in a satisfactory way

2 个赞

Green’s Dictionary of Slang, 2020

@tempertemper we appreciate your comments, thanks, sister

The OP said he was glad to talk about the slang “there you go” which said from your comment that he had never seen it before.

4 个赞

I study language and I come across many phrases, words, etc, used in total novel sense. There are usually two types of meaning:

1. Literal meaning
  2. Contextual meaning.

So, words do change meaning and user (or more specifically writer) has the license to use the word according desired context.
Thanks for mentioning it @pref and notifying me @mdict6.
As i have mentioned in my dictionary post, I am a linguist and deal with English language. I would love to answer your queries ( Don’t put me to test, i will fail, KJ.) and try my best to answer them.
Though i look forward to learn Chinese because i love it. I have on small problem. My WeChat is blocked. If someone can help me unlock it, we can exchange knowledge over WeChat more conveniently. I have a WeChat conversation here with a member, but that member is unreachable now due to my blocked WeChat. I would appreciate it if someone is willing to unblock it for me and then exchange my knowledge over it. I am open to all members. Looking forward to help you all, my friends.

我研究语言,我遇到许多短语、单词等,在完全新奇的意义上使用。通常有两种类型的意义。

1. 字面意义
  2. 语境意义。

因此,词语确实会改变含义,用户(或更确切地说,作者)有权根据所需的语境使用该词。
谢谢你提到它@pref和通知我@mdict6。
正如我在我的字典中提到的,我是一个语言学家,处理英语语言问题。我很愿意回答你的问题(不要让我去测试,我会失败的,KJ.),并尽力回答他们。
虽然我期待着学习中文,因为我喜欢它。我有一个小问题。我的微信被封锁了。如果有人能帮我解开,我们可以更方便地通过微信交流知识。我和一个会员在这里有一个微信对话,但由于我的微信被封,那个会员现在无法联系。如果有人愿意为我解封,然后在上面交流我的知识,我将非常感激。我对所有的会员都是开放的。期待帮助大家,我的朋友

1 个赞

I don’t know how to unblock your WeChat account.
You’ve got me there.:flushed:

I can explain the procedure via PM. This something that can be done in open forum. No pressure, it is easy. All you need is to be willing. Let me know if anyone is willing to help me unblock it.

2 个赞

My bad. Sorry to keep u waiting like that. I just slipped mind while answering to other friend. If you look at at the origin of words which etymology you will know the history of word(s).
Phrase can be traced from usage. I heard this phrase from a Dutch fellow member on another forum. The there is originated from Dutch “Daar” and German “da”.
It has its origin in some British Novel. If you look at OED, you will find it date backs to 1857. It is British in origin. And now part of main stream English.
And one more thing to clarify: I am from Pakistan. I love to read a lot of stuff. Usually novels for building language repertoire. My WeChat friend from this forum we used to decide to study a book and then exchange idea to test our comprehension. I would try my best to answer their question. I wish someone is willing to that to help me learn Chinese. I would love it. Anyways, I am more than happy to answer your query and also my other fellow members and friends. If i posses that knowledge i would gladly share it.

DeepL Translation:

我的错。对不起,让你这样等下去。我只是在回答其他朋友的问题时忘了。如果你看一下单词的起源,也就是词源学,你会知道单词的历史。
句子可以从使用中追溯。我在另一个论坛上从一位荷兰朋友那里听到了这个短语。这句话源于荷兰语 "Daar "和德语 “da”。
它的来源是一些英国小说。如果你看一下OED,你会发现它可以追溯到1857年。它起源于英国。而现在是主流英语的一部分。
还有一件事要澄清:我来自巴基斯坦。我喜欢阅读大量的东西。通常是小说,以建立语言汇演。我在这个论坛的微信朋友,我们曾经决定学习一本书,然后交流想法,以测试我们的理解力。我会尽力回答他们的问题。我希望有人愿意这样做来帮助我学习中文。我很乐意。无论如何,我很乐意回答你的问题,也很乐意回答我的其他成员和朋友的问题。如果我拥有这些知识,我很乐意分享。

1 个赞

Sure, Bud. NP. :slight_smile:

1 个赞

最后一项释义我搞重复了

按照MW online dictionary示例,Wait, I want to fix your tie. There you go. 貌似OED的示例没有体现出in a satisfactory way。

In contrast to WeChat, QQ is better in my view.

There you go.

你到这。

相对这个句子的上文和下文的其他信息的对比,突出

1. 一级元素:there, you, go
    1. 这个 there (空间)
    2. you(事物中的人)
    3. go(变成、去成、成为、到、跟 are很多时候互换。)
  2. 二级元素(组合新义):
    1. you go,从词典可以看出,可以跟 it is 互换,即对一事物的描述,可以从很多角度,客观的事的 it is 的角度,和事中参与的人的 you are的角度。
      1. 你成(这样)
      2. 你变(这样)
      3. 你到(这个状态)

来自LDOCE的例句分析

1. It’s all very sad, but there it is(there you go). There’s absolutely nothing any of us can do about it.
  • but 相反,很难过,但你到这(已经)-> 你(已经)到这一步了,时间的单向性,无法回退。
  1. There you go, blaming everything on me, as usual.
  • 你(又)来这(个样子),把锅都甩给我,一如既往!-> 声调都不一样了!这个词典几乎不写,这是语音学的部分,文字词典只管大概,没那么细。
  • there 即(甩锅的)空间的状态、(人)的样子。
  1. There you are. I’ll just wrap it up for you.
  • here you are? 我总觉得这个you 是东西,对着东西说,把你包好了。。
  1. There you are, then. There’s nothing to worry about.
  • 强调There, there 是哪呢,是我之前提到的你会发生的状况,(终于,还不是)你到这了!

Do you know how to create aliyundrive.com account?

I’m not in the Chinese mainland :frowning:

What I understood form looking up in the multiple dictionaries the possible definition/usage of “there you go” can:

1. used when giving something to someone, usually after a request.

2.used to express the fact that you cannot change a situation so you must accept it.

1. used to indicate that something is completed or done in a satisfactory way.

2. Used to denote to someone’s habit Both Positive and negative sense

“The you go. Playing the victim again”

What I see from it is that it can be used both in positive and negative. The usage depends on the context

Moreover, I will sign up for QQ and see if it works for me or not. China has made it difficult for foreign to register WeChat/QQ/Baidu etc., accounts/

个人陋见(虽然我中文水平不行),当代中文(相对于诗词歌赋及文言文)的学习,需要十年苦读的这种劲头,需要大量的阅读及记诵。因为你喜欢看小说,或许可以通过阅读黄永玉的《无愁河的浪荡汉子》这部小说入手,他写的小说文风轻松活泼,没有沉重、压迫感,文笔带有美感,因为他是以画❀出名的。背诵的话,选择一本你喜欢的英译中的大学教科书。

如你喜欢的话,背诵每天的人民日报及天天看新闻联播。

1 个赞

抱歉,注冊需要中國手機號吧,具體我也不清楚,打電話聯係該公司客服詢問處理吧。

1 个赞