Method to color GERMAN nouns by gender on browser

The German Language has around 260,000 words (lemma) according to DWDS.de

Learners of German struggle to learn the grammatical gender of nouns.

Possible Solution:

A method to color German nouns by gender on any website.

On July 10th, 2022 a German Developer published “UserScript” which is still on early development called “gendercol”. I will describe here how to install it on PC and Android

STEPS ON YOUR COMPUTER (WINDOWS,MAC & LINUX):

1) Install Firefox Browser (can also be used with Chrome or any Chromium-based browser).

2) Install an add-on called “TamperMonkey” : Tampermonkey – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

**3)Download the file called “gendercol_edited_unofficial.zip”:

Decompress the .zip file and open the .txt file. Then, select all the text (CTRL + A) and copy into the Clipboard (CTRL + C).

4) On the Add-on Bar of Firefox, click with the primary mouse buttton over the “TamperMonkey” Icon. Then, click over “Create a New UserScript”.

Select All the text (Ctrl + A) in the box that appears (16 lines) and DELETE. Then, copy all the content from the .txt file and paste it in the above field (beginning from line 1). After pasting the code, press CTRL + S to save the content. Ready.

The script is now “loaded” and functional only on PC. Load any German website and see how nouns are colored.

DISCLAIMER: I am member of the “Free Software Movement”. Therefore, I only use Firefox but the method works in any browser with Tampermonkey or a similar add-on.

1 个赞

什么意思?挠头

Google mistreats users in many ways. I do not recommend to use Google Chrome ! Instead, Firefox tries to respect user’s privacy and is the best alternative.

Check the concept of “Surveillance Economy”:

Here is a short video:

Any feedback would be very welcome. We are trying to improve the script to color German nouns.
Thanks in advance !

@dedict , @Existentialismus , @shiruxue @GDictFan

1 个赞