Children don’t enter life afraid to take risks句子理解

前文讲作者小时候不小心撞到一棵枫树上,自己爬起来继续前进
Mom loves to use this story as an example. It reminds her that children don’t enter life afraid to take risks or unwilling to try again when they fall down.She never wanted me to lose that toughness as I grew older.
children don’t enter life afraid to take risks…是“如果孩子们害怕冒险或跌倒后不愿意再尝试,他们则不能进入生活”还是“孩子们进入生活时并不会害怕冒险或跌倒后不愿意再尝试”?afraid…部分修饰哪部分?

1 个赞

afraid…应该不会修饰life哦

可能是这样:
Children don’t enter life if they are afraid to take risks or unwilling to try again when they fall down.

enter是不是可以理解为“理解”?

这个理解就是前一种译文了,也是我一些同事的理解,这种afraid还可以理解成伴随状语,不过我还是没有完全被说服,不知道第二种理解错的话错在哪?

我个人理解接近这个,但是我不确定是对的,所以才提出来讨论 :joy:

enter词典没有和“理解”有关的意思,这里可能就是说小孩子接触生活开始生活的意思,这个单词对afraid部分的理解应该不影响

新时代英汉 给出了这个意思

另外,我也不是很理解afraid为什么不能修饰life

afraid一般是表达人的情感,就像修饰一本书不会用bored

这件事总提醒她:孩子们在融入生活时不会惧怕风险…希望长大以后也不要失去这种韧劲。

和 if 无关,至于与生俱来有点过度解读了,其实我觉得这是个翻译的问题,不是语法问题,就是如果非要翻译以后再讨论,那么 译所指>译所言,翻译如果一字字扣,其实并不科学准确

1. 多体会语料,少推理联想
    Enter Life | 343 pronunciations of Enter Life in English (youglish.com)

2.天性或者与生俱来,一般是形容三岁看老,虎父无犬子,基因压制这种情况,此处想说的是既然小时候都勇敢,长大别怂,鼓励克服困难与成长,好了我忙了,自己喜欢就好嘛,仁者见仁喽

有点类似 无知者无畏 以下是母语者的说明, 总觉得这种用法很奇怪,语法上还是没理解。

It means that when children are born, they are not afraid to take risks and are not unwilling to try again when they fall down.

It means that humans do not have an inherent fear of failure when they are born; that fear is developed or learned later in life.

You could rephrase it as “When they are born, children are not afraid to take risks, and when they fall down, they get back up again”.

1 个赞

谢谢分享讨论结果,语法分析有后续的话欢迎补充

语法部分: 说life 后面的是 形容词性的短语。 始终觉得还有点别扭,这种用法。

Take a simpler form of the sentence: “Children don’t enter life afraid”.

“Afraid” is an adjective referring to the state in which children enter life. Some similar examples with the same structure could be:

“He came home drunk” (when he came home, he was drunk) - drunk refers to the state that he was in when he came home.

“I found it broken” (when I found it, it was broken).

This is the negative form of the sentence. The “don’t” doesn’t just refer to the verb (to enter) but to the whole phrase (to enter afraid). It is not saying that children don’t enter the world, it is saying that children do enter the world, but none of them are afraid.

Compare these sentences: “I didn’t go home” = I stayed out, I didn’t return. “I didn’t go home empty-handed” (I did go home, and I took something with me; when I went home, I wasn’t empty-handed).

So in the full sentence, the phrase [afraid to take risks or unwilling to try again when they fall down] functions as an adjectival phrase. The full sentence does not refer to children not entering the world generally. Instead it only talks about a state in which children do not enter the world.

4 个赞

谢谢分享。按分享内容 afraid部分是形容词短语作状语,形容词短语作状语这个偶尔会见到,否定形式见的少一点

十分感谢。
看来的确存在afraid是形容词修饰的可能性,其实照该分析似乎像是伴随状语。
那么,照母语者的分析,enter就是实在意义的“进入”了对吧?

很好的分析。应该不仅是无知者无畏,首先是好奇, 而后无知者无畏敢于尝试, 不怕试错,最后能从错误经验中学习到正确的东西, 不再犯错。这个能力是人类的本能之一吧, 用"与生俱来"形容是挺贴切的。

也许可以理解为,进入"有生命的状态"?

1 个赞

https://nfb.org//images/nfb/publications/fr/fr33/1/fr330107.htm
2020.1浙江卷完形的句子

1 个赞