表示是否的whether从句中能出现not(不讨论or not)吗?

反复查找,没有找到证据。表示是否的whether从句中能出现not?例如
Another important question is whether family life
is not in fact more characterized by ‘aggravation’ than ‘mitigation’.
该如何理解这个句子呢?
谢谢!

应该是可以的,这里 whether 引导的是单个选择的从句,用法相当于 if,那么后面的是从句是不是否定句和前面没关系。

翻译:另一个重要的问题是,家庭生活是否实际上不是在“恶化”(而是在“缓解”)。

在 BNC 中找到两个用例:

1. He made detailed admissions and at the end was asked whether not seeing a solicitor had made any difference , He said not , but would like to see a solicitor , and refused to sign the notes of interview until he had done so .

2. The instructor should encourage the pilot to talk through his thoughts aloud to find out whether not using the airbrakes is caused by failing to realise the glider is too high or by not being quick enough to decide and act .

只能你没学好语法,跟证据木关系。来张道真来教你。whether 用法之一。whether常可和or not (no) 连用,这时也很少用if:
Can you tell me whether or not the train has left?你能不能告诉我火车是否已经开出了?
I cannot recollect whether I told you or not about Allen Bennet. 我记不清我是否曾告诉你关于艾伦·本内特的事。
He could not decide whether or no to return home. 他不能决定是否要回家

感谢细致解答。只是,您给出的例子中,whether后面的not似乎是主语的一部分的,而我更想知道在从句中做谓语的情况。就目前我看到的句子,whether从句中用肯定谓语,还没有发现用否定谓语的情况(不讨论加上or not的情况)

”whether从句中用否定“肯定是可以的,这隐含了作者的取向,即:作者认为否定的情况是值得讨论的,或者是前面提到过的。中文也一样可以这样用,我既可以说“我不知道他是不是没吃饭”,也可以说“我不知道他是不是吃过了”,取决于你想询问什么以及前文

1 个赞

赞。清晰明了的

not 用在谓语中同样可以的,从句是单独一个子句,和前面没关系,BNC用例:

1. If the question is asked whether Gandhi is not aware of the dangers of contradiction in his use of personal and impersonal terms to describe God, …
  2. I asked whether they did not find it inconvenient , living so near the French border , not to speak French , but they said not .
  3. When contemplating the history of the palazzo you have to wonder whether there might not have been some truth in an ancient prophecy made at the time when Alessi began work on the building .
1 个赞